Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sweet Summertime...

I've been an avid reader all my life. I taught myself how to read before I was 5 and haven't stopped since. With college, having to read textbooks, study guides, and class notes, I don't get much time to do any free reading. All the books I used to just read for fun have to be pushed to the back burner & wait for summer to role around.

How many of you are the same way? You've got an EXTENSIVE list of books you've always wanted to read, but never have to. Well, there's no better time than right now to make a dent in that list. That's why I'm proposing a



not only for myself but for anyone else that wants to join me. I'm not going to make this like book club & everyone has to read the same book, that would be kinda hard to do online. I want everyone to set reading goals for the summer. Maybe there's a book on your shelf that you've never had the time to read. Maybe you've got a huge summer reading list for school & you don't want to even think about reading it (trust me, those books aren't so bad)

My goal? I've always had a soft spot for classic literature & feel like I don't have the education in the books that have really shaped today's books, movies, and even music, so I found a list of classics that everyone should read. I don't know how long it'll take me, but I'm gonna work my way through this list over the summer..

  1. Pride & Prejudice (Jane Austen)
  2. Madame Bovary (Gustave Flaubert)
  3. To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) I read this one in the 9th grade. It's one of my favorites and I totally plan to read it again.
  4. A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
  5. Paradise Lost (John Milton)
  6. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
  7. Hamlet (William Shakespeare) Hamlet is one of my favorite Shakespeare tragedies, not sure if I'll read through this one again or not.
  8. Ulysses (James Joyce)
  9. Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
  10. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
Along with this list of books...though there are some on here that I've read already.
Must Read Book List
Lady Chatterley's LoverRebecca
Animal Farm (read)Iliad and the Odyssey
The Catcher in the RyeCatch 22
Oedipus the KingA Farewell To Arms
Gulliver's TravelsUtopia
David CopperfieldNo Exit
One Hundred years of SolitudeCrime and Punishment
Saint JoanPoetics
The Way of the WorldWar and Peace
Frankenstein (read)Don Quixote
Little WomenWuthering Heights
Vanity FairEmma
LolitaThe Scarlett Letter (read)
The Canterbury Tales (read)A Doll's House
BelovedColor Purple (read/favorite)
The BirdsMoby-Dick
Oliver TwistRobinson Crusoe
Adventures of Huckleberry FinnThe Trial
The RepublicA Midsummer Night's Dream
Far from the Madding CrowdThe Lord of the Rings
The Great Gatsby (read)The Prince
The Grapes of WrathLord of the Flies
East of EdenA Portrait of the Artist
Mill on the FlossSilas Marner
Women in Love1984


That's a lot of books!! I'm going to give myself the summer to see how many of them I get through. After I look over the list again in August, I guess I'll see if I made enough of a dent to hold off until next summer or just continue through the rest of the year until the list is done.

Hopefully you guys will take me up on the challenge. Summer is such a great time to read. You can read anywhere, in the car, on vacation, outside under a tree in your favorite park, at the pool, ANYWHERE!! So head out to your local library, or your bookshelf and pick up a book!!

Best of luck!

<3>

0 comments:

Post a Comment