Monday, August 23, 2010

Today is the First Day of the Rest of My Life

Today marks a huge day in the "Life of Jen" saga. Today, for the first time in 15 years I am not joining my classmates in going back to school. It's a bittersweet day for me and I can't help but wonder if I made the right choice taking some time off. Then I look at the things I'm doing that I wouldn't have the time to do if I was still trying to balance a full course load.

I miss that I won't get to tailgate or go to football games this fall.

I miss living on campus.

I miss being around people my age that just get it.

I miss living drama free.

I miss the excitement that comes with living on campus.

I miss cafe food. (I KNOW! I didn't think I would either)

I miss stay up until 3, getting up at 7, and napping between classes.

But I love that I have the time to do what I'm doing now. Some friends of mine are revamping their band and giving it a serious run for their money. We're working on our dreams, as a team. I didn't realize until this weekend how hard it is to actually get a band up and running. Writing music & then playing it is hard, but so is the promotional type work. This weekend alone I've made about a billion list of everything I know of that successful bands have done to gain the success they have. It's a lot harder than one would think.

Finding venues to play

Coming up with merch ideas & prices

Creating social media pages (graphics, links, info, blogs, music)

Coming up with ideas for photo shoots

Contacting people to review the few demos the band has

STREET TEAMS!

Promo packs

I wouldn't change it though. For the first time in a long time my life actually feels like it has direction and purpose. The girl who could never see past Friday night is actually looking into the future and seeing things she could have never imagined and a reality she never thought could be her's.

I hope you guys continue to follow me in this journey. It's gonna be a long, bumpy ride, but aren't the most interesting stories the ones that aren't easy? The journeys that inspire us to really reach for our dreams? I hope I'm doing that for all of you and that my story helps at least one person go "If she can do it, so can I!"

To everyone, especially those freshmen (college or high school), enjoy the time you have. Make friends. Create memories. LIVE IT UP!

"It's the only life you've got, so you gotta live it big time."

<3 Jen

0 comments:

Post a Comment