Monday, September 6, 2010

Dream as if You'll Live Forever...

Growing up in a small town in the south, as a kid I wanted nothing more than to be a cheerleader. I would spend recess with my friends practicing cheers we had seen at the pep rally the week before, turn flips on the flip bar, watch the boys play football. To me there was no higher calling, no one cooler than a high school cheerleader.

When I got to middle school, the desire to be a cheerleader got worse. All the boys were playing pee wee football. I went to the games and sat on the bleachers, sometimes the sidelines, cheering on the guys. 6th grade year rolled around and one of the moms decided it was time to have a pee wee cheerleading squad. I was so excited and begged my mom to let me sign up.

Being out there, on the track, cheering & screaming, was something I lived for. I loved pumping the crowd up. I liked seeing their faces when there was a good play on the field. I liked being with my friends and I LOVED cheering on those boys. I thought that life couldn't get any better.

See, when I was in the 4th grade, I had my life all planned out. I was going to be a high school cheerleader, date a football player, become high school royalty. I thought that was the point of life. I was going to find my soul mate the minute I sat down in my freshmen english class that first semester of high school. We would be high school sweet hearts, grow old on the front porch together.

I know, you're laughing right? Looking back on it now, so am I. I tried out for cheerleading for the next 2 years, never once making the junior high squad. As much as it killed me not to be a part of that elite club, those days I spent in practice leading up to try-outs, taught me a lot of lessons.

like:

Never give up

If one person looks bad we all look bad

Be a team player

Keep your arms strong and your head up!

SMILE!!

So life didn't want me to be a high school cheerleader and live the "southern dream," that's okay. I learned how to be a cheerleader in other ways. I always say that I'm not a star, but no matter what you do, I'll be your biggest cheerleader. That's my job.

I support the people I love. Whether it's from the sidelines, the auditorium chair, backstage at the show...I cheer.

<3 Jen

0 comments:

Post a Comment